Episode 1.7

It was late. Well, at least for me it was--the minute it gets dark my brain flashes the *L*A*T*E* banner. Fellow resident had gone to bed and it was just me and the cats.
For some reason I went out onto the back steps for something, I paused on my way back in and looked up. And the Universe looked back. "Hi down there. Paying attention?
No. No I haven't been.
When I lived on the other side of this high mountain valley, the night sky was a constant. Endless hours were spent staring into the stars and the deepest past you can imagine. I have no idea how long it takes the light from Betelgeuse to reach the Earth, but probably a bit more than it takes to brew a cup of tea. And I'm seeing that history, at this moment, and before I even know--it's gone. And still  it's history streams in constantly.
Life never stands still. But sometimes the struggle of getting from one oasis of calm to another can feel like the journey from one star to another. Endless. Halting. Painful.
But the calm of the cold, clean air, and the peculiar comfort of the blackness around the stars, gives you room to breathe. To say, "okay fine--back to square one--deep breath, and forward."
" For the length of your life, we will be here" say the stars. "We will be your constant companion, and as fleeting as your life is to us, your company is welcome."

OnceUpona


     

Comments

Popular Posts